Select this link to Skip over Navigation to the main Page Content Select this link for the Site Map (access key is 3)

Are You Due Money, Asks Angela

Angela Smith MP wants to remind constituents about a little known tax benefit

If you have a child born between 6 April 1986 to 5 April 2003 you may be eligible for a refund from the tax office, say local MP, Angela Smith

This refund should not be confused with Tax Credits, it is the Children's Tax Allowance which was available in 2002 and 2003. However, Angela is warning constituents that the deadline for claims is 31st January 2009.

Angela Smith MP, said

“I believe it is important for everyone to claim what is rightfully due to them. Unfortunately this short lived allowance was not claimed by a lot of people. Constituents only have until the end of the month to claim this refund, I recommend anyone who thinks they may due this money to claim before the dead line of 31st January 2009.”

To Claim the Children's Tax Allowance for the Year 2002/3 Angela says constituents need to phone their local HMRC tax office and ask them to check whether you have already received the allowance. If not, download the claim from the HMRC website at and use the search function to find form 11 CTC. The form is also available from Angela’s website at

You are eligible to claim £520.00 allowance if you have a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003 and if the child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003. Other requirements are that you worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003 and you or your partner earned £6,000 plus in the tax year 2002/2003.

Further you could be eligible for the £1,040 allowance if you can answer yes to the four questions above and one of your children was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003.

Completed forms should be sent back to the tax office who deals with your tax affairs. For more information contact your local tax office or go to the HMRC Tax website at

Issued : 1 January 2009

« back to index of Press Releases

« Previous Press Release    |    Next Press Release »

Contact Me

Find out how you can contact me with your queries, or make an appointment to see me.

How I can help

There are many things that I can do as your MP, but some that I cannot. Find out how I can help you here ...